Once again I humbly offer some suggestions for traveling with IC-from the perspective of a road trip as in previous posts I have discussed some simple steps I took to ease my fear of flying. So with that in mind I offer you some suggestions to help ease the panic of a car trip as an IC patient:
- Pack a cooler of IC friendly foods, especially snacks that are IC friendly for you so that you aren't tempted to eat foods that might cause a flare up or you stuck in a gas station filled with, well, bad gas station food.
- Pack your own bottled water that is IC friendly for you. I have personally had IC flares from drinking tap or bottled water that was outside the norm of what I had tested to be safe for my IC symptoms.
- Plan to take extra stops along the way to use the restroom. Remember that a trip is about the journey AND the destination.
- Some women are comfortable using either a female urinal or Depends while car traveling.
- Pack good toilet paper and moistened wipes.
- I find that sitting on pillows can greatly reduce the vaginal/back pain associated with IC while on long car rides.
- Bring along your iPod filled with soothing and relaxing music to listen to in the car (preferably not music with the ocean waves mixed into the background)
- Plan ahead for your trip and be sure that wherever you are staying whether hotel or with friends or family that a refrigerator and stove await you so that you can easily make your own IC friendly meals without fear of contamination of someone else's cooking.
- Pack your ICA 'I have IC card' which include information about IC to present at a gas station or store in which you might have to make an emergency trip to use the restroom. It is Federal law in the U.S. that people with a medical condition be allowed access to any public restroom.